Don’t let anyone deny who you are.
I have often joked with friends not to let anyone take their lunch money. For me, it has been an off-handed reminder to them not to let anyone take advantage of their good nature.
These past few weeks those same words have taken on a more serious challenge as I have talked with colleagues and friends who have been confronting personal and professional dilemmas.
For me, “Don’t let anyone steal your lunch money” has come to take on various meanings of self-worth:
- “Don’t let anyone deny your story.”
- “Don’t let anyone deny who you are.”
- “Don’t allow anyone to diminish your worth.”
- “Don’t diminish your own worth.”
- “Don’t settle for someone else’s version of who you are.”
- “Don’t deny your own story.”
Or, stated in the positive:
- “Do remind yourself of what you add to your community.”
- “Do remember and draw strength from those times when your grit and resilience led to personal triumphs.”
- “Do recognize that every failure and success (so-called or real) has made you the person you are today.”
- “Do know that while you might not ‘be a fit’ for someone else’s plan, you have a huge hand in cobbling your own plan.”
- “Do be true to yourself so that you can be true to others.
None of this gives license for delusional self-congratulation. We all need to engage in a regular and thorough examination of ourselves. We remain fortunate when we have mentors in our corners to urge us on and challenge us to stretch.
In addition to the outside forces for good, draw on your inner strength and mentor yourself with reflection. Draw on what you believe to be faith and the Source to help you understand your talents.
That person looking back from the mirror has a powerful story to tell. Don’t ignore it. Don’t deny it. Grow with it.
Make it an inspiring week and H.T.R.B. as needed.
You can subscribe to my newsletter by clicking here.
My books Choices for College Success (3rd edition) and Study Skills: Do I Really Need This Stuff? (3rd edition) are published by Pearson Education.
(c) 2016. Steve Piscitelli. All rights reserved.